Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From American Camp to South Beach and Back Again


I decided that while I was still here on San Juan, that I would do some touristy sight-seeing stuff. I hopped on the shuttle and headed to American Camp. American Camp is called this because it is where the Americans camped during the Pig War (there is a British Camp on the other side of the island). The Pig War was basically the result tensions over land between the British and the Americans in 1859 which culminated in a shot pig (who was rooting around in someone else's garden) which then turned into a war which (finally) ended around 1872.



Luckily, there were no pigs here today--and also no fort. It has disappeared to the ravages of time. The landscape, though, is breathtaking.






The scenery was amazing, but I got a chance to use my new skills as a marine naturalist as I discovered...


that's right--a tide pool!

Barnacles ahoy!

Here's some chitons


Can you see the fish hiding in the seaweed?


An anemone

Snail buddies!

Can you see the fish again? It's using camouflage!







It wasn't just all tidepools, though I did spend quite some time attempting to get the perfect lens angle that didn't have the water reflecting me. 

American Camp has a trail that leads into South Beach, which is...a southern beach. It's grasslands and coast line and absolutely breath-taking. 

 


The bottom of a Lion's Mane Jellyfish caught in the waves. Poor thing.


All in all, it was a good day and I had fun exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment