Saturday, May 18, 2013

Settling In

Today, after a serious sleep in, I went exploring the island. There's no internet at my house right now, so I trekked twenty minutes to the library, while figuring out the layout of the town. It's pretty darn cute. And now I'm in the library typing this up. Oh man, what a library; it's stocked with some of my favorite books and I feel that I will become a frequent customer.

I am going to buy a bike--sometime. The cheaper shop doesn't open until Tuesday, but they make appointments over phone during the weekend, so that's an option.

So, what am I doing here on San Juan Island exactly?

I have been taken on as an education intern at the Whale Museum. What does this mean? It means that I get to work with educational programming especially for children. This is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for me because I want to eventually go to some sort of grad school/certificate program for children's education in museums. In addition to this, I will also be working with the Marine Naturalist Certification program as both a student and instructor. I'm super pumped.

But as a recent graduate (and congratulations, by the way), don't you have to make some money, rather than go to an unpaid internship, you may ask. Well, the answer is quite simple. While I will not be making money off of this, a very generous grant from a former alum of my college provides for me while I'm here. I will not be making money, but I won't be losing money either. Starting this fall, I'll probably be looking for some sort of job (if not working in an archives--more on that later, as well).

Well, I need to be heading back, but please leave a comment if you want to hear anything in specific!

No comments:

Post a Comment